Monday, September 27, 2010

Music as therapy . . . to make people feel better . . .

For the record, I don't often get paid to sing and to play guitar.

I've had a couple of offers . . . I must have been plan "C."

My dreams of making a living as a singer and guitar player are long gone. In fact, I made that decision / came to that realization about the time I got married. I've shared with others that I have recently come to conclusion that I was called years ago to be a music teacher, song director and music leader. For various reasons, and perhaps my own cowardice or inability to stand up for myself, I interpreted my call in the way I thought others wanted me to interpret it.

However, there was always something about singing, playing guitar and music in general that kept drawing me back to performing for others. I noticed long ago that when I sing to a group of children, or to a group of senior saints ... they usually smile, and most times, they start singing with me. I can't remember all the times after singing at a nursing home or at an assisted living center, that one of the residents said to me, "thanks for taking me back home for a while . . ." in reference to a song we may have shared together, that reminded them of family, old days, and sweet memories.

That was my first true heart felt inkling that music, for some people, can be a positive, healing diversion from everyday life, especially if one's everyday life involved hopelessness.

A diversion . . . almost to the point of being theraputic in nature. I know this is true. I've seen this too many times.

Music . . . can make a child, teen or adult . . . feel better. Music can promote physical, emotional, relational and spiritual healing.

I don't have the research on this to back me up . . . but I do have the experience that this is true.

So, long ago, I made the decision that my music would not be about seeking fame and forturne; instead, it would be about making people feel better . . . providing a moment or two of release from the various pains of life's struggles.

Earlier this year, I was provided an opportunity to apply as an apprentic to the Hugworks Theraputic Music Entertainment program. I am a little less than half-way through. And what I am learning in this process only AFFIRMS what I have known for years . . . that music is powerful and can help heal.

The Hugworks program focuses on children who are in hospitals, and who attend camps with other children with similar illnesses. I encourage you to ponder the possibility of your support of this wonderful ministry in some way.

FYI - I am a ministry volunteer for Hugworks. I do not hide this. I do not get paid for doing what I do, or for mentioning them here in this blog entry. My "pay" (that internal sense that I am making a positive difference) is getting to see children and older adults smile, relax, and enjoy themselves . . . even if only for a few minutes.

That is why I do this, why I show up, why I sing, why I play, why I travel, why I say "yes" when my calendar indicates I should say "no," why I rehearse, why I practice with others, why I learn to play new instruments, why I learn new songs . . . and why I even more today appreciate friends like Joe Laughlin and Floyd Marshall, for continually prodding me over the years to improve my skills. And, for friends like Sean Simon at Grapevine Guitar Works, whose support helps me show up with the equipment I need to entertain as best I can.

I am a theraputic music entertainer . . . and I have known that for years, even though I was not aware of the particular words or terms.

I sing and play so that others can feel better. There is positive power in what people like me can do for others.

Thank you Lord, for the 2nd chance opportunity to know why I sing and play.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...